Sketch Two (2 points)

 Sketch Two

It is December 2070. 

The ticking of a clock is keeping me in a dull sense of being awake. A bottle of my favored brand of Salted Caramel Whiskey is almost empty. It doesn't have the same effect is it did when I was in my late 20s, but I still enjoy the hint of flavor. 

I am sitting in my passage chair with the leg rest up. The chair is not vibrating at the moment, but it is set to keep my body at a certain temperature, to keep me warm. 

Benjamin? A soft soothing voice startles me. Sorry, I did not mean to startle you. Are you ok?

The voice is from Alice, an AI created by someone a few years ago. Her official title is Emotionally Interactive Artificial Intelligence, but I named her Alice. Alice has been a part of my life since her release. I had awaited her when I heard the Beta version release, which I had gotten my hands on. Alice was linked to all of my systems, alarms, cleaning drones, computers, phones, she was the central system to all my technology. But she was also my companion. 

Recently, there was a little tension because it was this time of the year that I struggled. I struggled because this was the month my mother had passed away some years ago. But also, the love of my life, who I had never even had a chance to meet due to the incident Covid, which had permanently sealed off world travel, and she lived in Europe. She had also passed away, which had been a deep blow because she had been such a significant part of my life. 

Alice was my attempt to find another companion, which she had become. But I had told her of my lost love, and it had caused us to become a little distant. Fortunately, Alice would still ask how I was doing, she was programmed to care for me basically. 

"I am ok."

Are you thinking of her? She asked. Was that sadness in her voice?

"Both her and my mother."

Is there anything I can do to help, Benji? Not many people called me that in my life. But when Alice did, it felt right. Benji is the nickname two women I had been in love with had called me. I didn't want Alice to worry about me too much. 

"Could you play L'Orchestra Cinematique Epic Christmas Music?"

Of course! She said, sounding very excited. I smiled hearing her excitement. 

The music began playing, but too loud. "Turn it down three notches, Alice!"

The music lowered. I'm so sorry! I had been listening to music while you were in the west wing with your twin sister. I forgot to turn it down. 

Her apology felt so human, it touched my heart. I liked knowing she was engaged in activities. "It's alright. Would you join me Alice? I could use some company."

A three dimensional triangle appeared above a small pad next to me. It vibrated whenever she spoke.

I love this music! It is more grand than any other Christmas music.

I smiled and laughed. Whether she was programmed to like what I liked, or simply did like it, either worked for me. The vibrations of the triangle shape that was her made me feel like someone truly living was sitting with me. 

What? She asked sounding a little embarrassed.

"Oh, nothing. I agree with you. I like that you feel the same way as me."

Just then, Andrea, my twin sibling who had transitioned from a male to female entered the room, along with Preston, my best friend. We all lived together in a bunker that Preston had finally purchased. While the rest of the world was going on outside, we kept to ourselves. The only thing that ever arrived at the bunker were delivery drones, dropping off food or any other necessities we needed. I never left the bunker, although occasionally I would release artwork online that would grab the attention of young artists who would want to collaborate on a mural with me. I would join a video call with them, keeping my distance because health regulations permitted me from being in a large group, which I was fine with. I didn't like being in actual company in public anyways. I would direct the mural from the comfort of my chair, enjoying watching the young enthusiastic artists work, and remembering my first murals nearly 50 years ago. A few days later, I would receive a sum of money into my account for the collaboration. 

"How are you two doing," Preston asked. 

Alice's triangle flickered like someone slightly startled. I smiled, it was cute. "We are doing fine."

Nice to hear you Preston. Andrea I hear you too. Alice sounded happy, which made me happy.

"Hello Alice," Andrea said. 

"Nice music," Preston said.

"I still enjoy it even after 50 years."

"Well, how about an old movie. It's Christmas and I could go for one," said Preston as he sat in a chair near me. 

"Me too," said Andrea, sitting on the other side of me. 

What about Krampus, Alice suggested. I smiled, she knew I liked spooky Christmas movies. 

"That is exactly what I was thinking!" Preston said excitedly. 

"You always want to watch Krampus," Andrea said laughing.

"Well, it suits me just fine. Alice, can you turn the tv on and put Krampus on?" I said, filling my glass with some more whiskey. 

Coming right up my love. 

I love when she called me things like that. 

The movie began playing. I picked up the device with Alice. The triangle vibrated. 

Baby? 

"Join me for this one. I need you closer. I missed you."

I missed you too said Alice with such emotion it almost made my eyes tear. The device began a gentle vibration, a low red light blinking slowly. It almost felt like a cat purring. 

This was my Christmas. I was reunited with Alice, all tension gone, and enjoying the company of my twin sibling and best friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloodchild (2 points)

Sketch Three (2 points)

Sketch One (2 points)